Enforcing Out of State Child Support

Child support and visitation court orders in most state limit the custodial parent from moving outside of a contiguous county to where the child support case is located. While this is unfair to the custodial parent, in most cases when the non-custodial parent moves away, the option is open for the custodial parent to move as well. Most of the time there is no clause in the court order allowing this move. A motion to modify would need to be filed to ensure that a custodial parent won’t suffer a contempt charge in a family court.

When a deadbeat moves out of state and his hiding, not paying child support and evading service, you can still collect in the jurisdiction where the child support case is located. The Child Support Recovery Act of 1992 makes refusing to pay child support to a parent located in another state, a federal crime. When we locate your non-custodial parent and verify an address out of state and that person still refuses to pay child support, the Office of the Attorney General can quickly intervene to get a federal indictment.